Writing a journal has many benefits, but here are a few I think are important to consider:
- Writing in a journal is a way to establish a writing routine. By making the time every day to jot down thoughts, whether one page or six, creates a good writing habit for those looking to improve their skill.
- Writing in a journal gives you the power of perspective. Revisiting past times and selves will help you realize that day-to-day life changes so much and you have, too.
- Writing in a journal is a way to say what you would not have otherwise said. Some of us have a lot rattling around in our brains – the release of a journal can not only be therapeutic, but it can also be life-saving.
- Writing in a journal is a productive way to spend your free time. By having it as an option, you can sit down and be quiet/listen to music and just be.
- Writing in a journal is an excuse to be creative. The space can be used in any way you choose – whether to write a daily account, doodle something you saw on the bus, or write lists of things you want to do this week. Having creative outlets is good for you.
- Writing in a journal is something that’s privately yours. Having a secret or place like this can be freeing.